What causes Negative Pregnancy Test?
When a pregnancy test comes with a negative result, it certainly gets frustrating. It is frustrating when at the first place you were expecting to get the joyful news of giving birth to a new life. If you have faced this terrible situation of having experienced a negative pregnancy result, then you should know what causes this.
Negative pregnancy test negative pregnancy test means different kinds of worry for different women. It is surely bad news for a woman who is trying to get pregnant and worry news for a woman who has missed a period. Many women often wonder why they have a negative pregnancy test even though they have missed a period. It is important here to understand what causes a negative pregnancy test.
- A negative pregnancy test may mean that you are not pregnant. And in case you have missed a period, it may be due to other reasons such as obesity, hormonal imbalance, depression and other lifestyle-related problems
- A negative pregnancy test might also be caused due to a false negative pregnancy test. A false negative pregnancy test may happen in cases of an ectopic pregnancy or in cases where the hCG hormone amount in the body is very low. An ectopic pregnancy is a cause of serious concern, and a doctor must be consulted in this case
- A false negative pregnancy test is also caused when the home pregnancy test kit that is used for detecting pregnancy can detect the presence of the hCG hormone only after the level has increased in the body. One can get a blood pregnancy test done to confirm pregnancy
- A negative pregnancy test can also happen to women who have recently discontinued oral contraception. The body takes some time to adjust to the new schedule, and it can easily cause a late or missed period
- A home pregnancy test will also show in the negative if the urine sample collected for the test is either not from the day’s first passage or if the woman has taken a lot of fluids before taking the test. Fluids tend to dilute the hCG content in the urine, thus leading to a negative pregnancy test
- Another reason why you might end up getting a negative pregnancy test despite missing a period is peri-menopause. Peri-menopause is otherwise known as premature menopause, and it also leads to missed or late periods. So one should immediately consult a doctor to verify if she is peri-menopausal or not
- The most important factor that causes a negative pregnancy test is that fact that most women do not adhere to the rules stated by the manufacturer on the box of the home pregnancy test kit. There is a stipulated amount of time, generally between 5 to 10 minutes after which the results are clear. Many women dispose of the strip after a few minutes
When you do not get the right result then you can try again, the most important thing to do is to understand how to go about it. The rules must be followed if you want correct results.
Read more articles on
For more related articles, download OnlymyHealth app.